From the first chapter of Genesis, when God created the world in seven days, the number seven in the Bible signifies perfection or completion.
In 2014, we identified seven regions where catechists are engaged in the work of CGS. The map shows the breakdown of our seven CGSUSA regions.
I believe it is friendship that supports and sustains our call, and keeps alive our longing for that perfect friendship of the Parousia.
(Life of the Catechist: The Necessity of Friendship for the Catechist, 2000 Journal)
Regional Group Resources:
- The Necessity of Friendship for the Catechist
From the beginning of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, it has been a practice of catechists to spend a significant amount of time with each other after the children had left the atrium to discuss, with particular attentiveness, the religious life of the child. This practice has also built deep and sustaining friendships among the catechists. So often, when catechists gather, there is this feeling of “we have already met” that is experienced and celebrated. For this reason, part of the vision of CGSUSA is that “Regional groups will be encouraged in every part of the nation.”
The National Director travels around the country to various regions to meet with
our members, to listen about the work being done with our children, and to encourage a deepening of our understanding of the religious life of children through Catechesis of the Good Shepherd as we serve them.
- Sample Agenda (WI)
- Sample Flyer (WI)
- Sample Flyer (Holy Triangles – PA)
- Sample Needs Survey (WI)
- Sample of Regional Model/Vision (WI)
- National Regional Gathering – Practical Life (AZ)
- Photos: Share photos from your event, so we may share them with our members via the photo gallery and social media. Email photos to email@example.com.
- Upcoming Regional Gatherings Visit our Events Calendar
Regional Book Club
Gather catechists from your region and choose a book from the CGSUSA Library to form your own regional book club.
Regional Support for CGSUSA Events
Are catechists from your region attending National Events? CGSUSA would like to ensure that every region is represented at the Annual Meeting, Servant Song Retreat, National Level One, Level Two or Level Three courses and Formation Leader’s Training Courses. Now is the time to begin the conversation in your region about these events. Several of our regional groups hold fundraisers to help support their own local regional formation and to be able to send participants to National CGSUSA Events. See our calendar for upcoming events!
Support from CGSUSA
- We invite you to contact CGSUSA when planning to let us know the theme, date, and location of the event. Once you have developed a flyer, we would like to promote your event on our website and via social media, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- CGSUSA would be glad to provide a Regional email list so that you may send invitations to the members of CGSUSA in your geographical area.
- Could we create a Resources packet from CGSUSA for your event? We will include membership brochures, Welcome Brochure, etc.
Regional Deepenings Workshops
These workshops were developed to encourage the regional groups of catechists to connect with one another. Facilitated by a local formation leader, these workshops have been prepared from our formation office with the formation committee. One such Regional Deepening Workshop that was offered focused on CGS Material changes as they relate to the revisions in the Roman Missal, Third Edition.
Regional Material Making Sessions
These sessions are a great way for catechists to get together and share resources. Some regions gather monthly or quarterly, inviting catechists to bring whatever materials they are working on; other regions offer specific workshops on sculpy, woodworking, painting and calligraphy. Even if your Atrium does not need materials, could your region help make materials for an Atrium in need?
- Material Making Packet COMING SOON!
- Contact Us with your Material Making Questions
Regional Encouragement Group
Providing a forum for catechists to share ideas and work on common difficulties. Some regions have monthly “catechist lunches” for interested members to gather and build relationships and support each other.
Send us photos from your event, so we may share them with our members via the photo gallery and social media. Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northeast Region: The HeArt of the Child, Pittsburgh, PA
Great Lakes Region: Wisconsin Inaugural Regional Gathering
March 15, 2019
Honoring the Artist: Celebrating the Centenary of Gianna Gobbi in Indianola, Iowa