The Gift of Membership
The first steps of forming an association of catechists began during the summers of 1983 and 1984. Catechists who had been receiving training in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd wanted to nurture friendships formed through this work for children, stay connected and keep informed in any developments in how Catechesis of the Good Shepherd was being received by children. The National Association of the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd was incorporated in 1985. The founding members knew of the vital necessity of being connected, but they also knew that they could be of help to many others interested in the spiritual nurture of children. So their first aim was to “help children hear the loving voice of the Good Shepherd and help catechists, families, churches, and many others hear that voice with
With that aim in mind our Association formed for the purpose of assisting “the involvement of adults and children in a common religious experience in which the religious values of childhood predominate.” Our purpose offers us a way to stay connected so that we can share the richness of the experiences we have with children as with listen with them to the voice of the Good Shepherd. Sofia Cavalletti, one of our co-founders, has often said, and we agree, that Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is a gift – a gift for children’s spiritual nurture and a gift for the adults who receive training who then share this with children. It is a gift for the entire Church around the world. Please consider joining us by becoming a member of CGSUSA. You will find that membership in the National Association of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is a gift as well. What do you receive? Well, where do we begin…?
You will join a diverse membership of catechists and friends from across the United States and even from various countries around the world who make up just some of the branches of the beautiful True Vine and who are committed to the religious dignity of children everywhere.
· You will support the ongoing work of our Association in helping children and adults listen together for the voice of the Good Shepherd especially for those with a particular commitment to the gifts this religious formation brings to the Church
· You will have the opportunity for be part of the conversation of how the gift of this work is celebrated and implemented in the United States
· You will also receive information on how to access Members Only Resources on this website
· A small Thank You gift – often a package of mustard seeds
· An Annual Letter usually from our National Director or a key leader in this work
· The Foglietti (a vital “little memo” from the International Council (or Consiglio
) that communicates the latest developments in materials or shares news from around the world about CGS)
· The Annual Journal – with a wonderful array of articles pertinent to our work, children’s artwork, prayers, and anecdotes from the children all to nourish us in the spirit of CGS
· CGSUSA News – a newsletter providing updates on the association’s projects and events
· The Vision Statement and Strategic Goals of the Association of CGS
· An online Membership Directory
· A Permission Slip for children's art – so that you can share your children’s responses with others
· A Call for Nominations and a ballot for board elections for those interested in becoming more involved
· Opportunity for access to the online Materials Manuals
· Notification of materials updates
· Scholarship eligibility for courses
· Discounts on national and some regional formation courses
· Grant eligibility for developing atria in underserved area
Please join us today and begin to receive all that is available to you as a member of the National Association of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.